Saturday, June 06, 2009

Sale + Coupon = Big Savings!


Many thousands of coupons are flooding the market at any given time with an honest attempt to influence your purchase of a particular product. But when is using a coupon a good deal and when is it just a waste of money?
In your household you know what you regularally purchase and what are considered treats. You also know about new products on the market through advertising with any number of strategically placed promotions in a variety of media forms. You see the new laundry detergent marketed as "2x the cleaning power," or the "candies now with no artificial colours!" Something to grab your attention and get you thinking about the advertisement song (jingle) or the well built model showing the latest car or clothing designs.
So when is it a good deal to use a coupon?
I would suggest that the best time to use a coupon, is during a sale. If I know of a promotion within the timeline of the expiry of the coupon, then I would use it at the sale. This keeps more money in my pocket, through both the sale price and the coupon redemption. If the product is not on sale or is something that rarely goes on sale, then I would use the coupon to save money on the purchase.
Another good time to use a coupon is to try a new product, the advertisements are ringing through your head as you enter the grocery store and picking up that 'special' item to 'try it' is on your mind. You didn't need to write it down on your list, because the jingle has played in your head for a week now leading up to this moment. This is definately the time to use a coupon because you aren't sure if you'd like the product and paying full price would seem wasteful to you in the end if you didn't like it; you will remind yourself that, "well at least I used a coupon and didn't pay full price."
What could be considered an unwise use of coupons?
If I were to make purchases outside of what I normally buy for my household, 'just because it was a good deal,' is not wise use of the money that it took to complete the purchase. For example, if shaving lotion for ladies were on clearance and I had a coupon for the item, purchasing this is a waste if I don't have a reason to own it because I'm allergic to it.
I have heard and seen people talk about their stock piles of treasures which cost next to nothing and if it's something they normally buy, getting for a great deal is wonderful bargain shopping! When I hear of other people who buy the products to donate to shelters and food banks, I think that is just fantastic; both sharing and saving themselves money all in the same purchase. I totally applaud that. Excessive shopping and hoarding, however in some individuals can be a serious mental problem with real life effects. If you feel you're needing some help because your shopping has turned into excess, hoarding or obsession; I encourage you to contact your medical professional. There is strength in asking for help when you need it.
Coupon Usage Tips:
How to use more than one coupon during a sale and save even more!
Kellogg's Brand Cereals were on sale for $2.99 a box.
Raisin Bran $2.99 (sale price) - $2.00 coupon (back of cereal boxes) = 99c
Special K $2.99 (sale price) - $1.50 coupon = $1.49
99c + $1.49 = $2.48
$2.48 - $2.00 coupon (WUB 2 Kellogg's Cereal coupon) = 48c for 2 boxes!

Take advantage of the sale + coupon = greater savings.
Use individual coupons + "WUB*" more than one product coupons, for the same purchase.
*WUB= when you buy

Here's how you do it... (unless you have a cashier, which I have never had... that doesn't understand this)...I give them one box of cereal and one coupon. I give them the next box and that coupon. At the end of the order (or after they have rung it in anytime after the coupons are rung in) I give them the WUB 2 get $2 off coupon.
Here is what I say... I am very pleasant and never assume that they know what to do, or not to do with a coupon, I just say hi, how are you and start ringing in groceries... then I say, I have a coupon for that box of cereal. They scan the cereal and enter the coupon (some set them aside for the end, but most ring in as we go when we do it one at a time).
Then when they go to scan the second cereal box, I say "oh I have a coupon for that as well!"
When that is rung in, I hand them another coupon and say, "I get a bonus today, because I bought two boxes of cereal, I get another coupon off!" and the cashier looked at the coupon, smiled and said, "well yes you do!" That was it, just that simple. Twenty-four cents for a box of cereal, now to find a coupon to have milk with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment