Thursday, June 04, 2009

The Questions Newbies Ask


New-to-coupon-use people (affectionately referred to as "Newbies") ask great questions and comments about their experiences. I really like to mentor Newbies because of their enthusiasm to learn.


This spring I hosted an online contest open to members of on online forum-style community specifically to Newbies only. The requirement for the contest entry was to include something they'd learnt and something they hoped to learn on while using the website/forum  with regards to coupon use.

The selection which follows, are the questions (and answers) which they Newbies posted. The replies (Mentor) were posted by one other member or myself.

Newbie: How to resist the good deals for stuff that I don't need so that I won't end up with buying things that I have no use for - or worse, become a certifiable shopaholic.

Mentor: Practice, practice, practice! Take the coupons that you plan to use, in the store with your shopping list and flyer. Keep focused and remember the prize at the end of the shopping trip is to watch the savings pile up from your coupons! Don't give in to temptation when it's something you don't "normally" buy "just because" you have a coupon for it. (trying something on sale/with a coupon is one thing, good shopping for sure) but buying a case of something you don't use, just because you get it for cheap... well...? You could donate it to a food bank, woman's shelter if you have a 'fall of the wagon' with your coupons. Try to remain focused on your goal of saving (not spending) money.

Newbie: One think I'd like to learn is how to organize myself - so I can remember to get the paper when the coupon flyer's are out, storing my coupons and remembering to use them and finding the sales - lol! Also organize myself with my contest entries as well - always have a hard time remembering if I've entered or not and I could end up disqualifying myself if only one entry is acceptable. Yikes!

Mentor: I look through the flyer's online usually on Thursdays. If I happen to see any good deals I then check to see if I have a coupon for it as well. I take all my coupons with me shopping, but put the ones I will use for sure that day in a separate envelope. As for the contests, I'm not the greatest on the computer, many folks bookmark each contest and put them in categories as daily, weekly, or one time entry. For me I do it the old fashioned way. I always thank the person who posted the contest, so when I return to SC [SmartCanucks.ca], I look for my check makers. That way I know if I entered the one timers already, and know which dailies to do.

Newbie: I would love to learn how coupon trains work.

Mentor: Coupon train: basically it is a group of people who send their address to one "conductor" and they have a "train" (envelope) of coupons sent to their address. The "passenger" removes what coupons they will personally use, calculate the value they have removed from the train, and replace that value (or more if you like), address the envelope to the next "rider" on the train and then you contact the conductor with your information (when you received the train, sent it out, took out/put in, or any info that the conductor asks you for).

Newbie: I want to keep learning that it is okay to use coupons, to not be embarassed by "holding up the line" and to be able to organize my coupons properly!

Mentor: Never be embarrassed because you want to save $$. I don't like to hold lines up either, so I try to put the products I have coupons for at the end and hand the coupons to the cashier as she rings in each product, that way there is no searching for them afterwards. For organizing my coupons, I put them in envelopes, beauty, food, cleaning, FPC's etc. I also take an extra one [envelope] with the coupons I plan to use for sure that day shopping. [alternatively, the owner of this blog uses a binder format, the mentor who answered this on my behalf was using a different organizational method]

Newbie: The thing I need to learn is to become better at sorting/using coupons prior to expiry and standing up for my money when a sales clerk says a coupon is no good and I know it is.

Mentor: To try and get organized you can use a file folder or recipe box holder with the dividers. You can sort them many different ways, but you could try by the month of expiry. If you have a problem with a cashier not wanting to accept a coupon, ask for the manager. If that dosen't work, send your concerns to the company itself, the one you got the coupon from and the one that refused to accept it.

Newbie: Hey came across your post, just learning and hoping for some good tips about trading.

Mentor: Trading tips... sure I can give you some. Check ratings (yes, even though the person may be new you can trade with them, but good to check, just in case). I trade with newbies and allow them on trains all the time. Some members, do not. [this refers to online communities where trade ratings or scores are left for each member as they trade]

Always be fair and reasonable with your offering (when you propose a trade). Don't offer something that is not going to benefit the other person (more likely to have them say "yes" to a trade proposal if you have something on THEIR wishlist that you can offer them)

On the other hand, don't be taken advantage of. If a member offers you a stack of say $50 in coupons and wants a $10 GC for Tim Hortons, you really should weigh out the benefit of that trade for you. (I offer $100 + in coupons to get a newbie started for $5 GC to like Subway or something, but that's a small amount and the person getting $100+ in coupons, even if they use 1/3 to 1/2 of them personally and trade the rest; I have regained the $5 GC (gift card) and it covers my shipping (which is usually about $2 (or even more)... so I don't do things to "make a profit."

Ask, (for help). Offer, (what coupons you are willing to trade) and try to keep your tradelist up to date (this benefits you and others). Be reasonable, flexible, honest and friendly. Prompt, and follow through with trade ratings and "thank you, the envie (envelope) arrived", etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment